Brighter Worlds is a whimsical fantasy tabletop RPG with modular crunch.
Writing & Layout by David Lombardo (twitter,itch.io)
Fully laid out PDF version, featuring Evlyn Moreau’s artwork is available here.
Brighter World’s text is licensed under CC-BY-SA 4.0
It is unfinished, currently at version 0.9.3
Rules based on Into the Odd by Chris McDowall (www.bastionland.com), Cairn by Yochai Gal (cairnrpg.com), and Macchiato Monsters by Eric Nieudan (@surcapitaine).
Pre-gens for each Calling + specific GM Guidance for each Calling are currently being written, but I didn’t want to hold up these other changes until they’re done.
- Great Soul Shaman renamed to Soulbearer (thanks Evlyn) and features new artwork (thanks again Evlyn).
- Tweaked character creation to avoid there being an “optimal” choice.
- Now you write a Eulogy entry immediately and either get an extra equipment roll, or +1 XP to start the game.
- Tweaked the Devoted’s Living Legend advanced ability to make it more immediately usable.
- Added the Reflexive Invisibility ritual, it replaces the Bone Sense ritual (which I hate so much and regret writing).
- All Callings now start with 3 Grit across the board. Not enough utility in making it variable to be worth it. Makes things easier to just start with one number.
- Added some items to some of the Callings to make the “You Start With” sections look less empty with the lack of Grit listed.
- Tweaked the Archivist’s “Leap of Logic” ability so it works more in line with Deep Lore.
- Added “Environmental Damage” to the GM Guidance chapter. This whole chapter needs to be organized/expanded.